1. Thanks to those of you who were able to attend our meeting today. Both Elwood Garlock and Beth Robbins had letters to the editor this week in the Gazette. Gary Hirshberg gave a great commencement speech today (which included examples of how consumers and businesses can slash greenhouse gas emissions and chemical use) to graduates from Mt. Mercy.
2. Our next meeting is tentatively set for Friday, June 17, at 5 p.m. The location is yet to be determined. I am also going to try to find a speaker. At the next meeting, we want to work on organizing an event so we can participate in "Moving Planet" sponsored by 350.org on Saturday, September 24.
3. Our counterpart groups in Iowa City and Des Moines are meeting Tuesday, June 7, at 7 p.m., at Trinity Episcopal Church in Iowa City, and Thursday, June 23, at 7 p.m., at Holy Trinity Catholic Church at the corner of Urbandale and Beaver in Des Moines. If you would like to participate directly in a statewide gressroots climate effort coordinated by the Environmental Law and Policy Center, please contact Steve Falck at email@example.com. The first Presidential candidate debate in Iowa is Thursday, August 11, in Ames.
4. On Saturday, June 18, the local Sierra Club is sponsoring a Green AmeriCorps Home Energy Audit workshop and demonstration. Details to be announced.
5. On Saturday, July 16, the Green Farmers Market returns to Cedar Rapids. We will discuss organizing a table for that event at our June 17 event.
6. On Saturday, July 23, there will be a Citizens Climate Lobby training in Iowa City. Please mark your calendars and plan to attend.
7. There is a religious conference on climate tentatively set for Thursday, September 1, in West Des Moines. I will provide more details when I have them.
8. One of our members is looking for a date in late July or early August to show the movie "Carbon Nation" - I will let you know the details when we have them.
9. The annual Environmental Film Festival will be held Saturday, November 5.
I hope this information is helpful. Thanks again for your participation in this effort to prevent future climate disasters and help people who experience them.